WILLIAM PARKER LITTLE
Over a hundred pounds of glass and film negatives stored in boxes covered with coal dust were considered for disposal. An auctioneer suggested to Dr. Grantham that someone would probably be interested in the photographic materials and so the collection was saved from the landfill. The collection consists of almost 3000 negatives, 660 vintage prints, 40 autochromes and 60 glass lantern slides, some hand colored.
William Little was born on June 5, 1850 to Dr. Robert and Cynthia Dow Scarritt Little in Merceburg, Pennsylvania. The family moved to Columbus in 1852 and after only three years in Columbus, Dr. Little died. Between 1855 and 1862 William and his mother lived in New Jersey and then returned to Columbus where they remained for the rest of their lives. William Little attended the public schools in Columbus and then he enrolled at Heidelberg College at Tiffin, Ohio. After college, William entered the banking business with the Hayden Clinton National Bank where he served as Cashier and a Director of the bank.
On Oct 22, 1889 William Little married Fanny Platt Bates, the daughter of Judge James L. and Maria Kelley Bates who was the granddaughter of famed Ohio Statesman Alfred Kelley. Between 1890 and 1900 five children were born to the Littles. Fanny cared for the children and continued to be involved in the art school where she had been a student during the early 1880's. Fanny was a painter working in both watercolor and oil. William Little's mother had also been active in the art school as well in the Freedmens aid Society.